8/23/2007

Taking the MBTA to the Airport

Bus Departure Time: 7:04
Bus Arrival Time: 7:20
T Departure Time: 7:23
T Arrival Time: 7:44
Weather as I call it: Cloudy and still cool out there
Level of commute annoyance (scale of 1 to 10): 3
Feared for my life: I feared for somebody else's

------------------------------

Red Sox lose, Yankees win. Ah, yin and yang.

The bus was as good as it has been this summer. Crowded but everyone was tolerant of the lack of space.

The Orange Line had an interesting situation. I got on at Malden Center along with another guy with a HUGE SUITCASE. It was really big. I could have fit in there. Seriously. It had tags on it from previous flights on United that stated it was HEAVY.

I sat next to the end of the subway car and he sat in the next seat over, leaving an empty seat in between us. He then set his suitcase down parallel with the row of seats. Since the suitcase was so huge, it blocked off anyone from using the empty seat.

This layout drew some grimaces from other passengers as they entered the train.

The suitcase became such a fixture that its owner was offering it up as a place for people who were standing it near it to rest their bags. Nobody took him up on his offer.

Then we got to State St. and all hell broke loose. The guy tried to be as friendly and polite as he could, but the other passengers holding on to the poles and bars weren't very happy about his advances toward the doors before the train came to a stop.

Oh, the looks that he got were priceless. Some people were really angry. Most laughed a little after he got off the train.

I hope he had a better time at Logan.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If I was holding a pole I would have been annoyed also. What I am supposed to hold on to if the train suddenly lurches while you and your ginormous bag are making your way to the doors *before* the train stops. I've seen people fall, it's not pretty.

Now after the train stops I will gladly step out of the way so you can exit the train.