8/27/2007

Orange Line - Stop By Stop

Bus Departure Time: 7:02
Bus Arrival Time: 7:16
T Departure Time: 7:18
T Arrival Time: 7:43
Weather as I call it: Sunny and warm. No too humid though.
Level of commute annoyance (scale of 1 to 10): 4
Feared for my life: No

------------------------------

The bus dropped all of us off at the Malden T station and I could see that the Orange Line had just pulled into the station. What I didn't realize until I got to the platform was that it was still there.

So I jumped on thinking the doors were going to close soon. They didn't. We waited. The announcer said there was a disabled train in front of us and we would have to stay put for a while. We did and more people got on. I was standing in the middle of the car and suddenly I was joined by three others. Then, the train doors closed and we got going. Here's how it went from Wellington to Downtown Crossing:

Wellington: The platform was teeming with people and they were all looking eager to get on. The doors opened and wave after wave of people entered the train until we were near capacity.

Sullivan Square: Not as packed as Wellington, but a large enough number of people to raise the panic level. The bodies bobbing and weaving to get a good position in front of a door. The eyes filled with looks of "I am getting on this train if I need to pull people off of it!"

Community College: Usually nobody gets on at this stop during my commute. There were three people on the platform today. They took one look at our car and ran to enter another one.

North Station: Some relief with a few people exiting. Seats opened up and a few of my standing comrades sat down quickly.

Haymarket: A woman entered the train with a raised bandaged left arm exclaiming, "I don't want to do this to anybody, but I have GOT to sit down!" It worked. A man stood up, the crowd parted, and she took her seat.

Downtown Crossing: The grand exodus commenced.
Joy was felt up and down the Orange Line. A large group of new passengers got on, but they seemed to fit right in.

No comments: