8/17/2007

Orange Line Safety Tip

Bus Departure Time: 7:02
Bus Arrival Time: 7:16
T Departure Time: 7:16
T Arrival Time: 7:38
Weather as I call it: Cloudy and muggy
Level of commute annoyance (scale of 1 to 10): 1
Feared for my life: Nah

------------------------------

Ok, hopefully I can do this story justice. Telling a story and typing a story are very different. Before I get into it, the bus was on time and it moved pretty well. Sweet A.

I got on the Orange Line right after being dropped off by the bus....I ran up the stairs and walked right through one of the train's open doors. Because I didn't have time to plan it out, I took the first seat I saw: The end seat right next to the front wall of the car.

This car had the conductor/announcer's compartment right next to it. Through the window I could see that she was in there talking to someone, but I could see who that person was since they were behind the curtain.

Flashforward to Dtown Xing (That's how the kids text Downtown Crossing): There is a woman standing in front of me and she is doing the unspeakable! She's leaning against the door to the announcer's compartment. FOR SHAME! Don't you know that it's strictly forbidden to lean against that door? It's clearly labelled!

Now I know why.

As the subway came to the stop, the door opened. The announcer's mystery companion was getting out there! The woman who was leaning on the door fell in...almost fell all the way in, never to be seen again. It was pretty intense. It happened so fast that I didn't know what was happening.

It turned out she was ok. The companion apologized and all was set right. She went back to leaning on the door.

I always thought they didn't want you to lean on the door because they were afraid the door was going to fly open and I always thought that the doors were pretty secure.

You have to be afraid of who may be opening the door on the other side of it.

1 comment:

'omie said...

"DTX" is also appropriate