8/29/2006

Zen and the Art of Directing Traffic

Departure Time: 7:20
Arrival Time: 8:02
Weather as I call it: Same as yesterday...dark and dreary
Paper Guy: Wearing a blue sweater. Summer is over.
Shady Gas Price: Hanging tough at $2.83
Yelled at other drivers: No
Feared for my life: No

------------------------------

There were kids flooding into both the middle and high school on the main road in town today. I thought it was really going to slow me down. Taking a look at the duration, it only added two minutes to my time. Pretty darn good, but psychologically it felt like I was stuck in slow mo...waiting for the crossing guards to let me through.

Look, kids need to be safe. There is no part of me that does not agree with the notion that the crossing guards have a very important job, but (there it is! There's the 'but') there is an art to directing traffic...there is an art to keeping everything moving; cars, pedestrians, bicyclists, wild horses, etc.

Peeps, let's embrace the art of directing traffic...you can keep all things flowing if you put effort into it rather than just hacking away at stopping traffic.

No comments: