8/14/2006

On The Road With Octogenarians

Departure Time: 7:22
Arrival Time: 8:08
Weather as I call it: Best August Ever
Paper Guy: Saw him briefly today. Rocking the shades as they say in my neighborhood.
Shady Gas Price: $2.97 - dipping 2 cents
Yelled at other drivers: Not really
Feared for my life: No

------------------------------

I saw some good stuff today. There was an old couple (I mean old...they were oooolllllddd) who were having a hard time navigating Storrow Drive. Even before they reached Storrow, they were having a grand time convincing a driver to let them in the right-most lane.

Here's the scene: I am stuck in traffic (natch). I am sitting on the metal grates of the draw bridge...right over where the Charles meets the Harbor.

In front of me is a white Elantra wagon with a dude at the wheel on his cell phone.

Old couple drives up on the left in a 1990 Oldsmobile. The elderly lady passenger rolls down her window to try to get the attention of Elantra guy. She waving and pointing...mouthing words "We need to get in"...

Elantra guy is having none of it...keeping tight with the car in front of him. He is trying his hardest not to let them in...until he has a change of heart...or he just wanted the elderly lady to stop talking to him.

Once the old couple got onto Storrow, they were a nightmare. Driving slow...fading in and out of lanes. It took me a while to pass them because everyone else had the same thoughts and ideas about the Oldsmobile.

"Sheesh! Are they drunk or old or both? In any case, get away from them!"

No comments: