7/26/2007

MBTA Rule #5,347

Bus Departure Time: 7:03
Bus Arrival Time: 7:17
T Departure Time: 7:18
T Arrival Time: 7:45
Weather as I call it: Hazy sun, warm, around 70
Level of commute annoyance (scale of 1 to 10): 3
Feared for my life: No

------------------------------

The bus was a-rockin' this morning. Not sure why people in the back we having such a good time, but they were laughing and singing the Boston Now song (he's back!) and calling out to the driver to open the back door when a passenger needed to be let out.

The pinnacle of their exuberance was shouting out to the driver to hit a bike rider who crossed in front of the bus as it was taking a right turn onto Pleasant St. I believe the quote was, "Hit him, the bastard!" Ahh, summer mornings...they allow people to let loose. Must be the result of too much heat...it effects the brain. :)

Ok, again I'm not preaching, I'm just teaching (somehow by typing this phrase I can be absolved of any accusation of being an "old fuddy duddy").

If you are wearing a backpack and riding the T, do one of two things. Be very careful when you are turning or leaning back or take it off and place it front of you so you can have more control. I can't tell you how many times I have been almost been knocked over big bloated backpack by people not aware of their extended personal space.

I was guilty of inadvertent backpack bludgeoning until my wife pointed it out to me. I guess I almost knocked down a few people while turning around on the Red Line. When my wife tried to tell me about what I had just did, I didn't hear her...and in true scripted, physical comedy style I turned back to face her and knocked the people over in the opposite direction! They didn't laugh much.

Anyway, be careful with your backpacks. You may not know who you are knocking over.

I will be out until next Tuesday. So, enjoy the ride until then.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A great course of action for those who fall victim to a backpack 'bludgeoning': grab hold of the offending backpack and give a mighty heave to spin that oblivious fool around as many times as their altered center of gravity, added momemtum and tightly-laced Keds will allow. This will provide amusement for you as you recover from the backpack trauma, as well as others on the T. Grandma will be betting Mr. Lee in the seat beside her how many full rotations the backpacker turned human top will complete! And I bet next time they'll opt for a fanny pack! Or at least try to be more aware of those around them... Either way you are doing the city a favor!