5/17/2006

No California Stops in Boston

Departure Time: 7:20
Arrival Time: 8:08
Weather as I call it: Sunny and of course a bit humid
Paper Guy: McD's black windbreaker...and the shades
Shady Gas Price: $2.99
Yelled at other drivers: Meh
Feared for my life: No

------------------------------

So the sun finally came out today...after 8 days of rain, we have some dry pavement to tread on...

There was this white pickup that tried to take a left turn while I was driving through town. I made him think twice. He yielded to me....which was the right move...there's nothing better than that split second lurch where the driver is making that decision of "Should I go?" and the rational side of their brain tells them to step on the brake.

At the intersection of the Monsignor O'Brien Highway and Storrow Drive, there is a red light. Most people take a right at this light to get onto Storrow Drive...

You know, "turning right on red" is allowed in this state...but you have to come to a complete stop first...Most people at that intersection sorta slide through, making a quick look to the left and flooring it to get onto Storrow...I call that a California Stop.

Wellup...today...there was a state trooper standing near this intersection to remind us: This is Boston, not L.A.

He didn't pull me over...but I watched him pull over another guy in my rearview...The state trooper pointed at the driver in a forceful way...as if he was shouting out "YOU!" at the same time...and then pointed to the curb so let the driver know where he should park his car.

I learned my lesson...Don't do anything stoopid near state police barracks.

No comments: