11/02/2006

Rolling Stop

Departure Time: 7:06
Arrival Time: 7:58
Weather as I call it: Rainy. The liquor store sign said it was 49 degrees.
Paper Guy: Hat, Jacket, No Shades. Right on.
Shady Gas Price: $2.08
Yelled at other drivers: No
Feared for my life: No

------------------------------

I was super cautious today. Wet roads and fresh memories of being spun out on a divided highway will do that to you.

In town, the "rolling stop" was in full effect. Usually, one uses the rolling stop when one has the notion that a yield would do just fine instead of a full, wait-three-seconds-after-the-engine-lurch type of stop. A good time to use the rolling stop is when you have full visibility of the intersection you are entering and there is no one else on the roads within a 5 mile radius. It's against the law, but it's a victimless crime.

The rolling stop should not be used when one is attempting to force themselves into a slow crawl of traffic. Anytime one forces their way into traffic, one should realize they will incur the wrath of their fellow commuter. Unfortunately, it was not one...but I encountered many people this morning that thought it was okay to nearly hit me because they wanted to get in front of me.

If one is choosing the path of forcing yourself into traffic, I suggest not using a rolling stop. Instead, come to a complete stop, then wait for three cars to crawl by, and then start to force the car into the traffic line up.

I think one would garner more sympathy that way...and get better results.

No comments: