9/06/2006

School Days

Departure Time: 7:05
Arrival Time: 7:56
Weather as I call it: Sun peaking through the clouds
Paper Guy: Blue sweater
Shady Gas Price: $2.65
Yelled at other drivers: No
Feared for my life: No

------------------------------

Easily the longest duration in a while and a bit frustrating at times, today's drive was tougher than the same drive a week ago. You can see I left 10 minutes earlier than usual....but I still ended up with a 51 minute trip. Ah, poop.

Mostly it was the school buses that held me up. Since it was the first day of school for many kids, there were a lot of parents waiting at the bus stop and hugging their kids before they got on while those big red blinking lights just flashed and flashed and flashed at me...(Yes..Taunted me, they did.) Wellup, I couldn't get myself worked up too much...I can imagine in 5 or 6 years, I will be out there at the bus stop for my son's first day of school....but I promise I will keep my hug short.

Seeing those kids getting on the bus brought back that feeling in the pit of my stomach that I got on the first day of school...the nervousness of the unknown, the dread of the realization that summer vacation was indeed over, the anticipation of what the heck we would learn about this year...all wrapped up in a pukey mass in my gut. Just by typing that last line, I feel it again.

Would you go back if you could?

No comments: