7/11/2006

Big Dig Tunnel Section Collapse

Departure Time: 7:21
Arrival Time: 8:09
Weather as I call it: Hazy sunshine...humid.
Paper Guy: He is wearing a polo shirt...and shades.
Shady Gas Price: I didn't see it today.
Yelled at other drivers: No
Feared for my life: No

------------------------------

Traffic was bad today...I wasn't affected much...but for anyone driving the Pike or Route 93 it looked to be a nightmare. Last night, there was an accident in one of the Big Dig tunnels. It happened in the eastbound (going to Logan Airport) tunnel that connects the Ted Williams Tunnel and Route 93 North. A huge piece of the ceiling collapsed and crushed a car driving underneath it. The driver of the vehicle was able to get out, but his female passenger was killed.

The highway was closed this morning...which made for major tie ups. The Callahan has regained its title as the only tunnel to Logan Airport...

I altered my commute slightly...since Leverett Circle was a mess because many drivers were taking Storrow Drive east to 93 South to the Callahan tunnel as an alternative to the Mass Pike. I took Memorial Drive West and embraced each and every red light.

Many drivers cut into my lane without any acknowledgement throughout my trip...I just let it go. Today is a bad day for the city. It marks another realization that this project cost way too much money for the job to be finished cheaply. Where did that 14+ billion go? It's apparent now that they did not put it into the materials nor quality inspections. I hope whomever got rich off the Big Dig feels a little remorse for taking money off the top.

More of the Tunnel Tragedy can be read on Boston.com.

1 comment:

JB said...

Ugh... this news makes me feel sick.