6/20/2006

I Think The Kids Call It "Drifting"

Departure Time: 7:19
Arrival Time: 8:07
Weather as I call it: Less hot...less humid...and less hazy than yesterday
Paper Guy: Another collared shirt..and a good story...see below.
Shady Gas Price: $2.93
Yelled at other drivers: No
Feared for my life: Yes...see below.

------------------------------

1. Paper guy made a sale today...right in front of me...but the difference today, and this is the first time I have ever experienced this with Paper guy...was that traffic was moving.

We had a green light ahead of us and cars were flowing through the intersection. Paper guy was walking on the left side of the road, letting people know he was there. A guy in BMW, which happened to be the next car ahead of me, decided that he needed to buy a paper...he couldn't wait...Paper guy's offer was too tempting...so he stopped...and the transaction happened...Two quarters for Paper Guy...a nice, crisp Tuesday morning edition of the Herald for the Beemer dude.

After the sale, Paper guy raised his left hand, palm out, and smiled wide as if to tell me and everybody behind me that he was sorry he held up traffic, but he's had a job to do. I smiled and waved back....and I didn't feel one pang of anger as I noticed the traffic light turn from yellow to red.

Paper guy is great.

2. I did something stupid...and I paid for it...

First off, I was passing a van (I HATE vans) on the right...which is illegal.

While I accelarated to pass this slow-moving van, the road curved.

I misjudged the curb and jumped onto the sidewalk.

I felt like I had lost control of the car for a moment, which made my heart race.

I feared for my life....but thankfully...I was able to recover quickly...

No one was harmed...and I am still here blogging.

No comments: