2/14/2008

Sympathetic Conductor

For the second straight day, the bus I usually take was MIA. I do not understand. Although it's not a huge deal in terms of my arrival to work since there is another that comes five minutes later, it does make a huge impact on every commuter's comfort. It's simple: If there is only one bus to pick up two bus-loads of people, the one bus is always packed and uncomfortable.

It's not funny and it's not fun.

Even though I stated earlier that waiting a little bit for the next bus is not a big deal, this morning it was a major factor in my missing the Orange Line. I made a valiant effort: The bus had pulled into Malden Station just as the T was slowing to a stop. I dashed into the station, scanned my card, and bolted up the stairs just in time to hear the tones of the doors closing. As I hopped unto the platform, the doors slammed shut. I sorta clenched my right fist and motioned my arm in an "Ah Shucks" fashion.

I made eye contact with the conductor. He looked sympathetic to my cause. I had the feeling if I had put up a stink, he would have opened the doors for me.

I decided not to do or say anything to get special treatment. I did what I think we commuters are supposed to do: look down and wait awkwardly until the train rolls away...and act like nothing happened.

------------------------------

Bus Departure Time: 7:02
Bus Arrival Time: 7:16
T Departure Time: 7:22
T Arrival Time: 7:44
Weather as I call it: Partly sunny, 30s
Level of commute annoyance (scale of 1 to 10): 3
Feared for my life: No

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That sucks. Why don't you write to the top about it? It is disgusting when the T continually skips buses like that. I mean, as you said, people can get fired for being late and are extremely uncomfortable and not even be able to breathe on the overcrowded bus that results. Good luck.