11/19/2007

School Spirit

Since it is Thanksgiving week, Malden High School is having 'school spirit' week...at least that is what I can tell from what the kids were wearing to school today. Most of the girls were wearing pajamas. I overheard one of the kids saying it was "Wacky Tacky" day. Not sure what that means, nor do I understand why wearing pajamas to school means you are full of school spirit...but I'm not a kid anymore.

My high school had school spirit week and the adminstration asked that certain classes wear certain colors; i.e., Juniors wear white. I guess the thinking behind it is if everybody does the same thing, then we all feel unified....and therefore...we are full of school spirit.

I always felt they were reinforcing conformity...and I wasn't sure I agreed with it.

Still don't.

No comments: