11/07/2007

Examining The Boston Now Selling Techniques

Ok, I know they are not really selling anything...but there are a few techniques in play at Malden Station in the Boston Now paper distribution industry that I would like to discuss.

On the back side of the station, there is the guy who sings and I have talked about him before: The Malden T Stop Singer

On the front side of the station, there is this fairly new to the scene guy who takes a different approach.

  • He addresses the oncoming crowds as "America". For instance, he will shout, "Boston Now! It's free, America!"

  • He shouts, "Participate, don't discriminate!"

  • He spells the word "Now" as a variation to saying the word "Now".


There are other things he says, but those three are the best.

Comments:

Although I see myself as an American, I think he should localize his target a bit more. I think it would be better addressed us as "Massachusetts" or more precisely "Malden". I just don't feel like "all of America" as I rush through the doors to get to the Orange Line.

Just because I don't want a paper doesn't mean I am discriminating. I like the guilt angle though. Well played.

The spelling of "Now" really punctuates the theme of the paper. N! O! W! It's not happening later...it's happening...now! Get it before "now" is over.

I still haven't taken a paper from this guy...but after breaking it down...I just might. Just don't call me America.

2 comments:

AussieSalesGuy said...

This guy you talk about should also consider using ambiguity and run-on sentences. Where the end of the sentence becomes the beginning of the next one and you pause just before delivering the end of the sentence.
example "now that you are walking.....buy the newspaper...etc
Greg

EnuhCorK said...

Too bad the newspaper went out of business. All the hawkers went away.